Monday, September 2, 2013

Creative Influences


I took on the rearing of a puppy dog this summer and blogging had to go on the back burner.  It had been ten years since my last puppy and I’d forgotten how much work it was.  While my intention was to get down to work in front of the easel for hours every day, which is my usual schedule; the task at hand was to keep an eye on this new addition to the household and everything chewable—shoes, wires, paintbrushes, even the corners of a few frames lying around propped up against walls either waiting to go out for hanging somewhere or home from another show.

What came from not being able to be in front of the easel was surprisingly an unexpected surge in creative thinking, sort of a downtime from actually pushing paint around at the end of a brush.  Standing aside from what we usually do can open the door to new direction and that was what I noticed when I could again focus back in my studio.  I found I had new eyes.  Looking at previous works I wanted to right wrongs, adapt my colours, apply theories I’d neglected.  Really, really look at my paintings, critically! 

I am not suggesting that one get a puppy if you need a fresh start with your work but if all else fails, stand back awhile, study art books, get back to basics about theory and what constitutes a successful painting.   Become a student again.  Sometimes a step backwards IS a step forward! 

No comments:

Post a Comment